How to write a website brief
Tell us a little about your company in a couple of paragraphs.
- What are some of the products your sell or services you provide?
- What size is your company?
- Are you an international company? If so, which countries?
- How long have you been established?
- What words would you use to describe your company?
The old website
- Do you have an existing website?
- What is good about the website?
- What is bad about the website?
- When was the original site built?
- What levels of traffic is it currently receiving?
- What percentage of the traffic is from smart phones & tablets?
- Who is responsible for updating the site?
The new website
- Outline the aims of the new website, what would you like to achieve over your current website?
- Who is the target audience? Has this changed from the old site?
- How will your target audience be accessing your site? Will they be using their phones, tablets or desktops?
- Is the new website part of a re-brand, or a new product launch?
- Do you have other advertising for the new website that this build should tie in with?
- What makes your company unique? What are your key selling points about your company, products or services?
- What industry are you aiming the website at?
- Who are some of your direct competitors?
- Could you list a few of your competitors websites?
- What is the budget for design and development of the website?
- Do you have a budget for ongoing support and maintenance?
The look and feel of the new website
- In order for us to get an idea of how you would like the website to look, could you list a few websites that appeal to you visually?
- Do you have a current marketing brochure? If so, can it be provided?
- Things to keep an eye out for on website that you like, such as colour schemes, the navigation, or the other elements on the website.
The content of your new website
Start thinking about how you want to populate your new site.
- Do you have the resources or skills to create and supply the text to go on the website?
- Do you need someone to write the content for your pages (a copywriter)?
- Do you have the skills & resources available to carry out a content audit of your existing website?
- Who will be responsible for generating content?
- Do you have and brand guidelines that need to be followed?
- Do you have any corporate images, photography or videos?
- Can you provide your logo & corporate identity pack? Ideally in a vector format such as .eps, .pdf or .psd?
- Do you already own the domain for your website?
- Will you require web hosting?
- Is your site likely to be targeting people with special needs or requirements? (Such as limited mobility, colour blind, deaf, learning difficulties etc.)
- Considering your exiting website’s analytics – do you have a particularly high proportion of mobile users?
- Who will be responsible for the on-going maintenance of the website?
- Do you have the skills, resources and time to maintain the website in-house?
- What happens if that member of staff leaves the company?
- Would you prefer to make an arrangement with us to handle website maintenance?